Palm Beach Baseball Umpire Association, Inc.
*New items will be added periodically. Important to check back.
*Topics are listed in alphabetical order starting under FHSAA section.
SEE BELOW: NFHS App has a better format of the Rules Book. Case Book and Umpire Manual can only be seen on the Arbiter - NFHS Central Hub.
Once you join FHSAA through Arbiter you will have access to the following:
FHSAA - Central Hub
FHSAA - Official
Palm Beach Baseball Umpire - Association Official
NFHS - Central Hub - Under Publications you will find electronic books ; Rules ,Case Books and Umpire Manual.
Below you will find a video version of the 2023 NFHS Baseball Rules Changes for the upcoming season
You also have access to the Rules Book on your smart phone through the free NFHS app. This is a better format to read the Rules Book.
No other books are available on the app.
The following NFHS rules , which are optional by state association adoption and other modifications, have been approved by the FHSAA:
• 1-2-9 Note. A double first base is permitted.
• 1-4-4. Commemorative or memorial patches permitted with written approval of FHSAA Office.
• 2-33-1. Speed-up rules may be exercised by either or both head coaches without any need for agreement.
• 3-1-4 DH Rule Addition (does not replace rule): The designated hitter and the starting pitcher may be the same person. If the pitcher opts to bat for himself, he is treated as two separate positions - a pitcher and a designated hitter (abbreviated P/DH on the lineup card) - and may be substituted for as such (i.e. if he is removed as the pitcher, then he may remain as the designated hitter and vice versa).
A player listed as P/DH is in both the offensive and defensive lineups. If P/DH leaves the DEFENSIVE lineup, they can remain in the OFFENSIVE lineup. For Example: Smith is the P/DH to start the game. In the 5th inning Jones comes into play RF for Smith. Smith is now the DH only and Jones the fielder only; however, if Smith is pinch hit or pinch ran for, then we lose the DH. The substitute is now in both offensively and defensively for Smith and there in no longer a DH.
Courtesy Runners are NOT allowed for P/DH combo when the pitcher is serving as the P/DH. NFHS states that the P/DH, when batting, is in as the role of DH. As such no CR is allowed for the DH. So CR are only allowed for a pitcher who is not listed as P/DH.
However, if a player who starts the game as a P/DH is relieved as the starting pitcher, he may not return to the mound even if he remains in the game as DH, and he may not play another defensive position after being relieved as the pitcher.
(See P/DH PowerPoint below under Pitching).
• 4-2-2. The 10-run rule will be in effect after four-and-one half or five complete innings.
• 4-2-2. The 15-run rule will be in effect after three-and-one half or four complete innings.
• 4-2-4. A game that has been called because of weather, mechanical failure or other conditions in which a winner cannot be determined will be treated as a suspended game. If the game is to be completed, it will be continued from the point of suspension, subject to the rules of the game. A game that has been called because of weather, mechanical failure, or other conditions after four and one-half innings or five innings have been completed will be declared a completed game.
• 4-5-1. Decision of the officials is final. No protests allowed.
Coaches’ Helmets. While occupying the first and third base coaches’ box, a coach must wear a non-ear flap style helmet.
NOTE: A coach MAY wear a batting helmet. A player in the coaches/ box MUST wear a batting helmet .
This list will change as schools request dates.
PRACTICE GAMES. Training in live game situations.
Officials work an inning or two on plate and/or base with trainers present for teaching purposes.
Games are set up using either 2-man or 3-man mechanics. Anyone can come to either, however, new/newer officials who do not have a good understanding of 2-man mechanics should not attend 3-man to avoid confusion. 3-man mechanics are used in playoff games.
For a copy of the mechanics see MECHANICS page.
EVENT IN ARBITER - Each game listed on web site will also appear as an EVENT on your Arbiter schedule. ONLY if you plan to attend should you accept the EVENT. These games will be posted in Arbiter In January.
For questions, contact Jim O'Neil our training coordinator
Copyright © 2023 PALM BEACH BASEBALL UMPIRE ASSOCIATION - All Rights Reserved. PBBUA, PO Box 16133, West Palm Beach, FL 33416
Powered by GoDaddy